Hey all, I’m back. I guess I’ll keep blogging… but I’ll admit that my heart isn’t as into it as it used to be, as a result of the recent problems I’ve been having with Blogger, WordPress, and YouTube. But, I’ll try to stick with it…
- More Banners
I’m brand new to WordPress, and so it will take me quite a while to get used to it. Blogger was fantastic. It had only one major downside to me: creating/editing posts was a major chore. Their “rich” toolbar system made formatting frustrating to say the least. If you added bullets, you’d usually have to go back and tweak all your text to make it actually work. Adding an image through their image uploader area would work simply awesome, when it did work. However, for me it worked about 5% of the time.
I would waste so much time with Blogger’s editing system, in fact, that it usually took me about twice as long to write a post, simply because I’d have to fix all of the formatting areas it made, or because often it’d ‘eat’ content I wrote.. it just vanished!
However, the final strike was when it refused to display links with a ? in them, such as dynamic URL’s. When YouTube was down and not uploading my video, I had decided to use Google Video, but when I tried to enter their dynamic URL into Google’s Blogger (you’d think both sites being the same company would work with each other easily), Blogger would always strip away everything after the ? in the URL.
Anyhow, so I’ve switched to WordPress. To be honest, I’m not really liking it. But I have no other choice really – sure, I could try another blogging system, but I’m not made of time, and importing would be a mess again anyhow.
Here are my thoughts and comments on WordPress so far:
- So far, their ‘rich’ toolbar is no better than Blogger’s, however I haven’t had any major problems yet.
- I can see nowhere to change my font size or colour.
- There is no easy image uploader. I can’t believe there isn’t.
- WordPress Themes really suck. There are some beautiful ones for sale on TemplateMonster, but otherwise the free ones available suck. You basically have to get it custom-made if you want anything decent.
- It uses MySQL. This means no ‘republishing’ everytime a template is changed, unlike Blogger. It also allows me to make backups easier, instead of downloading a lot of files, I can download one dump.
- It is far more custom. You can download various plug-ins, which is probably the biggest difference from Blogger.
- I do not need Blogger.com to be up in order to write to my blog.
- There is a developer community within WordPress, meaning important issues are addressed usually faster than Google.
Now, there’s a lot to customize and learn, and there’s a lot of template things I need to work on, such as adding many of the elements from my old design. What I will be doing is adding a few new things each blog post. I plan to do it this way so that I don’t overwhelm myself, and because I’m extremely busy these days. So, expect to see a few new improvements each time there’s a new post here.
This time, I’ve made the following changes:
- Finished adding my blog link exchanges to the right side.
- Added the 468×60 banner again (paid advertiser)
- Made old images which weren’t viewable from the conversion available again.
I have two more matters with WordPress to address before I’ll move on:
There are many things that I do not know how to do. Therefore, since many readers here are experienced WordPress users, I’ll be asking a lot of questions for the next little while.
I’ll start with these:
1. How can I remove the categories option completely? Is there an ‘easy’ way, meaning no modifications or plug-ins, or am I forced to categorize my posts?
2. How can I add the date at the top of each post like I had in my old Blogger template. Is this easy to do?
3. How can I add RSS feeds again? My old RSS feed is now gone, so people won’t be seeing them anymore since I’ve switched blogger softwares.
4. What are some recommended WP plug-ins?
5. How can I change my font size with the rich toolbar? Is there a way?
Lastly, I’d like to request some money You see, I hate this new design as much as you do, but WP doesn’t have much to choose from in terms of quality. Anthony said he designs WP themes – but for $250 + coding, so I’m guessing $350 or so. I’m broke now, having spent every penny and going to continue to spend every penny, towards my new place and towards taxes.
I also don’t like the idea of paying for a blog design, when really I’m not making money from the blog. Sure, I have one banner, and the odd paid plug, but I just don’t like the idea of shelling out so much money just to make this blog prettier for others. Therefore, if any WP designers are willing to design me something for free, give me a shout (twcruz (at) hotmail.com is my MSN). I’d appreciate it! If nobody comes forward within a week or so, I’m thinking of having a donations area here and will try to raise the money to get it skinned.
Yesterday I turned 23. How depressing. I’ve never been big on birthdays.. but now I hate them more than ever. I feel I’m so freakishy old. I feel my ‘success’ it about 5 years too late; I feel I should have accomplished so much more by this age. However, I can make the excuse that I didn’t really start into this game until I was a lot older than when most kids now start… that’s my excuse nonetheless…
Anyhow, Lisa came over in the evening and brought me a bunch of gifts (I told her not to a billion times but does she listen? No, she doesn’t. She brought over a bunch of food (pizza, chicken wings, pop, etc.) which I really enjoyed, a few presents, and two things which I thought I’d share here since I think you’d may be interested:
A PublisherForums shirt! I was surprised, mainly because I was surprised she knew how to grab the logo from the page, lol. Her favourite site is CookingForums by far, and so I should get a CafePress store up for that sometime soon…
And here’s the cake she brought!
I received these banners from my banner guy a while back, but didn’t have the time to post them. Here’s a few of them:
Anyhow, that’s all for now. I don’t want to write too much as I’m still getting used to WordPress.
Good luck, and good earnings!